Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole

Prateek was on a business trip earlier this week, and bequeathed unto me the duties of single parenthood for a few days. Everyone, meet Jadoo. 





He is a Rottweiler /German Shepard mix that’s too smart for his own good. Jadoo means “magic” in Hindi, but he also carries many aliases such as “Dooger", "Hairy Dooglas”, “Judah” (Thanks Lady GaGa), “Jades”, “Jada-Pinkett”, and “Doogy Doogerton” (I have no idea, don’t ask.) I tend to mostly call him “Handsome”.

His pastimes include: giving kisses, going for a jog, wrestling, playing tag, forcing people to pet him, watching Animal Planet on TV, closely monitoring squirrels/lizards/pelicans out the window, helping referee at Prateek’s beach volleyball games, hanging out on the boat dock, and playing tug-of-war with empty milk jugs and chewing them into a ball of shredded plastic (cheapest and best toy ever!).

I don’t have children, but I imagine it’s similar to having a pet in that you’re always taking pictures of them, showing off those pictures to other dog owners, laughing about something that your dog did that day, having discussions with your significant other about respectable subjects such as poop, and making sure they are seeing the best doctor possible and eating the best food you can afford to give them.

He is one of the only dogs I’ve ever met that wears every emotion on his face. You can always tell what is running through his head!

Here are a few for an example:

Annoyed
Mr. Scrooge is fed up with the stupid photos already, geesh.
Happy
Turns out he likes Christmas after all! He seemed to like the hat. Probably because he looks so handsome, and he knows it.
Sad
You don't have to get so mad, all I did was chase the neighbor's stupid cat....








































































Alert
Mr.  Pelican, I dare you to make a move. I will take you down to Chinatown..

Bored
My social life is really being burdened by your non-willingness to take me to the dog park today. 


Regulating at beach volleyball  
Um, excuse me sir, that was clearly a foul.

Confusion - Why are you making those funny noises? If you want me to tilt my head in an adorable manner, all you have to do is ask.


It's unbelievable how much energy he has, running around in circles begging for you to play with him. Here’s a shortened clip of Jadoo in the backyard playing and wrestling one afternoon after a bath -- I shortened it because he seriously did this for 5 minutes straight:




If you're looking for a new member of the family, there are great adoption websites like petfinder.com, as well as your local SPCA or Humane Society, that can find the perfect dog (or cat!) for your lifestyle. If you’re looking for an exact breed, there are breed-specific rescues all over the country too. Anyone that has never experienced the joy of having an animal in their lives is missing out on so much unconditional love! 


 Jadoo constantly makes me smile. He's loyal, and is always excited to see me. He never tells my secrets, is never demanding, and knows when I've had a bad day and will come sit next to me and put his head in my lap. He will move from one room to another, depending on where I am, so that he can be near me.There's a great old quote from an unknown author that says My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.  
Dooger, I will try my hardest! Love you handsome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment